Tuesday, June 30, 2015

'til it's over

June 30, 2015

There are volunteers at the shelter tonight.  They served food that they cooked, for dinner.  They are passing out snacks to homeless, female guests and running a game of BINGO.

I am sitting in a corner of the lobby, charging my phone.  I am not playing BINGO.  I wanted to be as alone as I could be, to glower over the dire situation which corruption has created literally around the world.  Could things be worse  in this world of people?

Yes, they could.  The volunteers didn't have to volunteer.  There don't have to be homeless shelters at all.  I did not have to have such a terrible life that I was forced to think about reality in ways that most people don't until they are much older, if ever.

The kindness of strangers to strangers; unless you have spent years witnessing cruelty, maybe you don't know what it means when people try to bring homey things to you because they know you don't have a home.  You might not know how to allow those gestures, seemingly insignificant against the larger picture of a totally corrupt power system, to deflect the grinning, jeering, smug, sickening horror, enough to have some mental peace, enough to get through another day without believing that humanity is doomed.  


Copyright L. Kochman, June 30, 2015 @ 7:23 p.m.