Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Notes from orientation to the Food Services Training Program at the Pine Street Inn

June 30, 2015

From this morning this afternoon:

-security machine that scans people's possessions before they are let past the lobby has "L3" on it in a red circle, but it also has "PX" on it.  I don't know how old the machine is.

-One of the signs in the lobby describing the shelter's history uses the word "innovative."  It's a display about the history of the shelter that includes the year 2011, which is a year after the conglomerate started.

-Wet Floor signs at entrance to a stairway  and in a room that I had to pass by on the way to the orientation room

-janitor's cart at the top of the first set of stairs

-coughed at by one of the male trainees. I told him not to do that.

-the demographic form that all the trainees had to fill out asked if I got Social Security, if I had a mental disability, and if I had been hospitalized.  It asked for the name of the hospital and the dates of the hospitalization.  It asked if I were taking medication and, if so, what it was.  I don't know if the answers to those questions will result in my being treated, throughout my participation in the program, as if I am delusionally imagining that I'm being sexually harassed.  That's what usually happens to me.

-two of the people who are going to be supervisors coughed loudly before they started coughing.  Both are men.

-during the first break, I went to wait outside the women's restroom.  A male trainee walked past one way and coughed.  Then he walked past the other way and coughed again.

-during the educational film about sexual harassment at the workplace, the people who were running that part of the orientation both left the room for a few minutes.  During that time, the male trainee sitting to my left coughed repeatedly.  That wasn't the only time that he did that today.

-after another break ended, one of the facilitators was talking with one of the trainees.  I was on the other side of the room and didn't hear most of the conversation.  I did hear the facilitator tell the trainee "He tried to RAPE her."  I think they were having a disagreement about something that had not involved either of them.  Another male trainee who had just walked into the room coughed loudly, after hearing the facilitator say "He tried to RAPE her."  It seemed as if the trainee who coughed in that situation was trying to negate what the facilitator said.


Copyright L. Kochman, June 30, 2015 @ 3:58 p.m.